Re: [NTLK] TCP/IP on Newton?

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 02:06:41 PDT

Let me try to write my answers inbetween your lines:

> Johannes Wolf typed on 21okt03:

> --Ok, I could have sent this directly and in german, but this way
> the other
> --list members can read this positive message as well.

> Much appreciated. As a frustrated Mac on a client's n/w for a long time, I
> experienced the same problems you and others had/have: 'switched off'
> AppleTalk. In my case I was still able to 'see' some of the n/w printers,
> albeit not the one I wanted to print to (an HP2100). I enabled
> AppleTalk on
> the printer, but to no avail; altough assured by the n/w admin. that it
> showed enabled (and the printer config. page reported the same).

In order to use an AppleTalk printer of course you need to activate
AppleTalk (via Ethernet) not only on your printer, but on your Desktop
machine as well.

> Hope you can fill in on the following:

> --The application called netnames was also helpful for that task
> Is this part of the HP print utility?

Here we are on the Newt! NetNames is a Newt appliation.

> --The only thing I have installed on my Newt are the network card drivers
> --and printpack2, thats it.
> I assume the 'standard' drivers for your particular n/w card?

Yes, correct.

> --After a while I found out that on the Mac (OS9.1)I needed to
> install the new
> --desktop printer utility in order to be able to set up a TCP-IP
> printer for
> --the Mac.
> Which one?

I do not know if my translation is correct, but it should be "Desktop
Printer Utility". If not installed already you should be able to find it on
your OS Install CD.
That tool gives you the choice of selecting USB, TCP/IP, AppleTalk or local
printers.
Using that you can access a TCP/IP printer without using AppleTalk, the only
thing you need to know is the TCP/IP address of that printer. So even
blocking of AppleTalk packages is no problem for printing from your Mac.

> And BTW, .esa? like in space? I suppose an elegant UI is not important for
> raw computing power. Using your Newt to track the moon explorer? ;-)

Yes, I am working for the European Space Agency in the European Space
Technology Center (ESTEC).

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html