Re: [NTLK] FAT Support through APIs: Was Re: newtontalk Digest V3 #549

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 04:24:42 PDT

Aux environs du 21/10/03 à 11:31 -0400, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK] FAT
Support through APIs: Was Re: newtontalk", ADyson prit sa plus belle
plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>If I can ask a silly question, since I'm not that familiar with programming
>device drivers. I'm curious to know what exactly is stopping someone from
>writing a device driver that would recognize a Newton formatted memory card.

The problem is not a device driver. Every operating system on laptops
have an ATA driver for the card.
The problem is to decode the data. There are two layers. Objects and
soups. Objects is known, soups is being documented by Philz.

The way objects are stored is (roughly) documented here:
http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/ATA/Newton-Stores-Collection-Format.txt
http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/ATA/Paged-Stores-Format.txt

The way objects are organized in soups is documented on Philz'
website (http://newton.vyx.net)

But this doesn't stop anyone from writing an application to extract
data. If you want to undertake such a project, please do. I'll try to
help with the format of data.

Paul

--
Changement de baignoire.