Re: [NTLK] FAT Support through APIs: Was Re: newtontalk Digest V3 #549

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 03:21:00 PDT

Aux environs du 20/10/03 ā 21:39 +0300, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK] FAT
Support through APIs: Was Re: newtontalk", Eckhart Köppen prit sa
plus belle plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>I thought about this as well, but then you would have to duplicate the
>functionality or its integration in every application that is to
>support FAT. There is at the moment not really a "Receive" button
>concept on the application level. The transport could be done quite
>quickly.

The question is what kind of data we'll exchange.
Any application will support NSOF import and export, and import could
indeed be in the I/O Box application, while export would be in the
Routing menu.

Then, there are few formats that we want to exchange more nicely like
.txt and .jpg. I'll make APIs to handle files and I think I'll do a
separate application for .jpg that will let one view & browse the
pictures. I'm not sure the InBox is fantastic for this. For the .txt
files, it could indeed be in the I/O Box application. It should be
the same for .pkg.

For these formats, I may design some APIs so third party developer
could write converter (maybe I could hijack your .vcf converter
somehow).

Finally, for MP3, we probably want to play them directly from the FAT
partition for speed reasons. I therefore consider either to fool Mad
Player by creating a mock soup with MP3s in it or call your library
from a custom application (probably the latter as for a mock soup,
I'll need to index all the MP3s).

Paul

--
Changement de baignoire.