Re: [NTLK] TCP/IP on Newton?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 00:03:30 PDT

On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 06:53 PM, Victor Rehorst wrote:

> Jonathan Wise (For NewtonTalk) wrote:
>> Actually if you're running a server version of Windows on your
>> computer
>> at work, you can map a printer to a TCP/IP port on your workstation
>> and
>> re-share it over AppleTalk from your computer to Newton... works for
>> me
>> at the office.
>
> ...but if there are managed switches routing your network traffic that
> are
> dropping ALL AppleTalk packets, then this still won't work.
>
> There's no way to print to a printer over TCP/IP from the Newton. It's
> AppleTalk or nothin'.

Actually that sounds wrong. What Jon is describing is his windows
desktop talking to the printer via tcp/ip and his newton talking to his
desktop via appletalk. This could work even if the switches are
blocking appletalk (why would you ever do this?).

At worst you might need to provide a little hub for your PC...
Marty

PS I don't know how any of that would actually work on the PC buy the
way :~/

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html