Re: [NTLK] TCP/IP on Newton?

From: John Skinner (john_at_johnskinner.net)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 20:56:05 PDT

On 10/20/03 6:19 PM, "Frank Gruendel" <fg2_at_pda-soft.de> wrote:

> I've learned today that our system administrators switched off all
> AppleTalk. There are heaps of printers out there that can be
> reached (as they said) via TCP/IP. My question is whether this
> is possible at all without installing Basilisk (see, I DID read
> the FAQ...)

As Victor said, if AppleTalk traffic is not being let past the switches and
routers, then there is no way to print from your Newton via the network.

Your only options are:

1.) Find a printer (preferably an HP) that has a Infra Red window on the
front and print that way. Drawbacks are, the quality is not that good.

2.) Find a printer that is compatible with one of the Newton printer drivers
AND has a Mac 8 pin serial connection on the back. Then hook up a Mac 8 pin
serial cable between the printer and your Newton and print.

3.) Find a networked printer that is compatible with one of the Newton
printer drivers AND doesn't have any cable connected to it's parallel port.
You'll have to find & buy the Newton "Print Pack" software & cable bundle,
then connect between the Newton and printer to print.

4.) Buy your own printer that the Newton can print to via #1,2 or3.

> the AppleTalk
> prefs in the preferences panel only lets me choose between LocalTalk
> and AppleTalk.

I think you meant that the AppleTalk prefs in the preferences panel only
lets you choose between LocalTalk and EtherTalk.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html