Re: [NTLK] [OT] Hell has frozen over

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 21:53:36 PDT

On Thursday, October 16, 2003, at 10:46 PM, Ed Kummel wrote:

> While I agree that it is a nice looking client, I am a
> little dismayed in the fact that the proprietary
> format for the downloads will not play on the
> application I have chosen to interface with my MP3
> catalogger and wireless transmitter. (it's a custom
> designed version of WinAmp) This is a problem with ALL
> the legal music downloader services...Plus the fact
> that these formats will not play on certain MP3
> players.

Because they're not MP3's ?
The store downloads them to you as AAC files if I'm not mistaken.
So WinAmp won't play them until you convert them to MP3's

> I downloaded it and looked at it. Even bought a song
> (a buck is far too much money for a 128k encoded
> song... Why do I have to pay CD price for 1/10th of a
> CD quality?)

The last time I saw any quality reviews done on the stuff at the iTunes
store they rated the
AAC encoding as better than the equivalent bitrate MP3

> It played OK with my Win2k machine. but none of the
> other audio players I had on my machine would
> recognize the file type and when I dragged the file
> onto my Archos, it choked on the file and treated it
> like just any other binary (I'm running RockBox on the
> ARchos)

Again, none play AAC's so this is not a surprise

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html