Re: [NTLK] Hierarchic order

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 03:15:33 PDT

DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net> wrote:

(*snip*)

> Yo, Victor -

Okay, so I'm not Victor, but here goes anyway.

> I've subscribed the digest - how am I supposed to reply, since I
don't get
> the individual messages mailed? If I'd reply to the digest, I reckon
that'd
> be daft.

Replying to the digest is just fine ...

> >The mailto: links in the archive will try to insert the In-Reply-To
header
> >into the message, but some mail programs won't allow this header to
be
> >inserted from a mailto: link.
>
> Which mailprograms DO work? This here is Eudora 5.2.1 .

I am using a small e-mail program called Green. Get it here:

http://www.greenemailer.com/dev/index.html

I am also on Digest. When I wish to reply to a message in a digest, I
select the message (including the sender and subject) I wish to reply
to (you know -- click and drag), and I use the keyboard command,
Command-R (or Apple-R; same diff).

This opens a new message with just the text I want to reply to.

I then cut the subject line from the copied text and paste it into the
Subject field -- after first deleting the "Re: [NTLK] Digest No. Blah
Blah Blah" that automatically gets stuffed in there.

Next, I adjust the From line by getting rid of the 'From' portion and
any quote maks (those greater than symbols) preceding the sender's
name and adding in 'wrote' at the end of that line.

For instance, when I began to reply to this message, the From line
originally looked like this (minus the asterisks):

*> From: DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net>*

Next, I go through the message and reply to whatever I wish to reply
to. Anything else I don't wish to reply to gets deleted, with a
'(*snip*)' to let the reader know something is missing.

Once I've finished making my comments, I scroll down to the end of the
text, where (hopefully) the original sender has his or her signature,
and perhaps a humorous '.sig,' and then I put my signature (such as it
is).

Oh, I also delete any advertising, like those inane "Dude --! This
message was sent from MacSurfer-Dudes.net!"

I also delete .sigs, unless I wish to comment on them (those I comment
on get harvested for my big .sig collection). I shudder to think how
many of these I have collected over the years ...!).

While this method may seem cumbersome to some, it's the method I've
been using for many years, thanks to one of Guy Kawasaki's books
(either "The Macintosh Way" or "The Computer Curmudgeon"). This
method also has the added benefit of not posting my message plus the
original message, thereby cutting down on the size of the digest.
Even better, if all I have to add to a 20 line message is the
equivalent of a "Me, too!" (which, by the way, I urge you to refrain
from), I can delete all but the salient points of the original
message, add my $.002, and end it.

(*snip*)

> My apologies for this off-topic white noise,

We all have to learn how to do this somewhere ... and I think Guy's
books are rather rare these days!

> DJV

--gdw

"I don't have an actual .sig, but if I did, it would occupy this
space."

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html