Re: [NTLK] eWorld

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 20:46:39 PDT

> since i never used eworld, can somebody please tell me more about it?
> was it
> an apple initiative, or was it owned by earthlink? what services were
> available for the newton?

Lots of stuff on eWorld here <http://www.vanvr.com/eworld>, though you
really have to sift through to get to details.

eWorld was owned by Apple, but based on technology licensed from AOL,
and was available only to Macintosh (and Newton) users. (Plans for a
Windows service never got off the ground.) It was revolutionary in the
same way the Macintosh was, providing a friendly and useful interface
to the fairly primitive type of online services available during that
era.

I think most of what eWorld offered were basic services; mail, news,
online reference and software downloads. Most of the cool stuff that's
available now (like remote backups) would have been out of the question
in that era, connected through a dial-up account at slow modem speeds,
and steep access charges. (A monthly subscription was $8.95, which
included only 2 free hours of evenings or weekends; it was $7.95 per
hour from 6 AM to 6 PM weekdays.)

I think there were software updates and e-mail services for the Newton
OS.

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html