[NTLK] The aging Newt (was Re: Arranging lines in Notes)

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 05:57:51 PDT

on 10/06/03 4:05 AM, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_euronet.nl wrote:

> Michael Detlefsen wrote:
>> I cheated. I finally had a brainstorm, and emailed the note to myself,
>> then saved it back to Notes. Everything was arranged and linked up
>> properly then.
>
> Cool solution, didn't think of that one.
> Which makes me wonder, would copy and paste all the text do the same
> (maybe move it into Works and back?). Would save you the mailing part
> and you could do it without an internet connection present.

This whole topic reminds me somewhat of when a NASA spacecraft (Pioneer 6,
the Voyagers, & Galileo come to mind) just keeps on working long after it's
original mission. We're now, depending on your Newt, 5-7 years into the
"extended mission" and one has to wonder about things like this notes issue.

Specifically, did anybody at Apple ever really think through just how long
someone might be using their Newt?? Or will we begin to see an accumulation
of little 'anomalies' that require workarounds, such as the above? Perhaps,
in the case of notes, it was assumed somewhere that notes only had a certain
useful shelf life and would be deleted (or downloaded for archiving) as they
got way too old, in which case nobody would've thought to test notes with
many thousands of little snippets. (Personally, I'm betting there was an
anticipation that there'd be a Newton 3100, 4100, etc. and that folks would
be moving up to newer Newts and NOS's.)

Anyway, I just put this thought out to the group for discussion... After
all, it might be useful to try and anticipate some of these aging effects.

- Eric.

*I'd* rather wear fur than go naked!
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html