Re: [NTLK] John Sculley and the Newton

From: Barry Rosenfeld (barryrosenfeld_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 19:26:57 PDT

Interesting to see Sculley talk about Newton actually being profitable. I
recently sat next to an Apple employee on a long flight, and it turns out
that he was involved with the Newton at the end. (He told me that Merck
came to Apple after the termination announcement and insisted that they
re-open the production line. Apple told him that it would take an order of
10,000 units to reopen the line. Merck said fine, we'll take 20,000.)
I told him about the various theories floating around about why Steve Jobs
killed the Newton, and he told me that it was strictly business. He said
that they killed it because they could not sell the product at a price which
would allow them to recoup their R&D investment in the product. I said that
I didn't understand why Apple would care about the price that Newtons would
sell for, since Apple was in the process of spinning off Newton Inc. when
they killed it. He said that Jobs decided not to spin Newton off because
Apple could not afford to lose the skilled engineers who worked on the Newt.
He said that once Newton was terminated, the Newton engineers were
reassigned to work on what eventually became OS X.

I have long been one of the conspiracy theorists on this subject, but,
having worked for a giant corporation for a number of years now, this answer
sounds plausible. --Barry