Re: [NTLK] A Newton Replacement?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 20:26:15 PDT

Hmmm...that's the problem with all these attempts to
replace the Newton...If all you're looking for is
something to store your notes and phone numbers and
caledar, then heck...a pad of post-it notes on the
dashboard of your car make a wonderful portable
solution!
But you see...The Newton isn't Just That...
The Newton has an intelligence that none of the other
devices have. And, might I be so bold...the Newton has
a personality that it has developed over time by
learning the user. I know for a fact that my Newt
works differently than Laurent's, or Paul's. Why?
Becuase we as people are different and we require
different things! The Newton adapts and learns as it's
being used.
Sure, I use my Newton to store phone numbers and
meetings. But it also interprets my intent...that's
the only way I can describe it. My Newt has been
tweaked to know that when I write something that
doesn't seem quite right, it will attempt to interpret
my meaning. Sure, it doesn't always get it right, but
it's usually close enough for decyphering at a later
time.
The Newton's ability to be self aware is also a bonus.
It's fully aware of it's capabilities and will use
them to help me be organized. Even when using 3rd
party apps. I use Action Names (yeah, I know....I hear
the objections...but it works for me...) and one of
the features I really like is the ability to link
notes and calls to people, or notes to calls, or calls
to notes, or what-ever! I also like the ability to
have the newton group people in the address book...Bob
and Sally may be two seperate people, with seperate
information, but the work in the same company. I can
have them Linked and show up on that company's screen
as seperate yet linked. Allowing me to keep track of
an otherwise complicated grouping...especially if Bob
is also a member of my Classic Oldsmobile club and
Sally is a member of the neighborhood board...
There is nothing out there yet that can match this
functionality...nothing...and nothing is even
close...and considering that nothing can match the way
that the Newton interprets handwriting...well, then
nothing else will do!
Sure the nice plastic box with the pretty colors has
tremendous gee-whiz appeal....but I hear it all the
time...once you peel off the celophane, toss the
manual, most palm users using something else
eventually, despite good intentions to "get organized"
just leave the thing home...Probably 70-80% of all the
other palm devices end up the same way as home
exercize equipment...destined for a lesser position
then originally anticipated...(my friend's BowFlex has
substuted as a staging area for tomorrow's work
clothes for over a year...only two power-rods have
ever been hooked up!...his Dell Axiom hasn't had
charged batteries since April. He can't even remember
where his synch cable is.)
So, go ahead and get the new fancy gimcrackery color
joojaw. But keep the Newt...you'll be coming
back...Because unlike that pet that just "got too
old", If you put your Newt to sleep...it can still
come back and let you relive what it's like to be
comforted by an old friend!.
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- Tony Kan <tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz> wrote:
> Just wandering what list members think about this
> product...
> http://www.lingo.co.nz/PadLE.htm
>
> Cheers
> Tony.
>
> PO Box 33-200
> 106 Panorama Rd
> Sumner
> Christchurch
> New Zealand
> Ph +64-274-339-745
> Fax +64-3-326-7712
>

> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
"When any government, or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know', the end result is tyranny and oppression , no matter how holy the motives"
     -Robert Heinlein, Revolt in 2100