Re: [NTLK] New Battery NewtTest Result

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 17:39:28 PDT

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 06:58:43PM -0400, Jim Siburt wrote:

> On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 06:24 PM, Frank Gruendel wrote:
>
> > 1) You should download NewtTest which you will find in the software
> > section of the site in the signature. It will show you quite a lot
> > battery and charge related info if you set "Test Type" to Battery.
>
> This is a new battery pack from a Battery retailer here in the U.S.
> Others on the forum have stated they also purchased from this company
> with success so for $25US it seemed like a good deal. I suspect a bad
> battery pack and I have contacted them, or at least tried to, several
> times today. Here is the NewtTest result:
>
> Type:Apple NiMH rechargeable pack
> Voltage: 4.5 Volt
> Capacity: 15%
> Low Warning at: 20%
> Auto Shutoff at: 0%
> AC Adapter: connected
> Charge State: discharging
> AC Voltage: 7.34 Volt
> Discharge Current: 0.001 Ampere (This fluctuates 0.001 and 0.000)
> Inside Temperature: 22.42 Celsius
> Cell Temperature: 64.00 Celsius
. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's why. Either the wrong temp sensor is in there, the temp sensor
is broken, or that pack is seriously damaged and probably shorting. In
any case, the NewtOS knows that somethign is Seriously Wrong and that
pumping current into that pack is not going to help.

One normally expects the cell temp to be about the same as the ambient
temperature when discharging/idle, or a small number of °C above ambient
if the pack is being or was just being charged. When the pack gets close
to being fully charged, the internal resistance goes up and the pack
gets warmer, and the Newton knows to switch from fastcharging to
tricklecharging. A value that far off would mean that the Newton cannot
trust the temp reading and shouldn't even try to charge the pack.

--
63. Bulk trash will be disposed of in incinerators, not compactors. And they
    will be kept hot, with none of that nonsense about flames going through