Re: [NTLK] Hardware to connect emate to Imac

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 23:22:03 PST

On 26-nov-03, at 1:32, Karen Yuen wrote:
> Actually, I don't have the converter - that's what I thought the
> dongle was, but am now showing my ignorance. Will any serial to USB
> converter do or will I need to find something special?

I agree with the KeySpan suggestion. You also have the (cheaper and
faster) option to go with Ethernet but that with one you'll face the
(in)famous bootstrapping problem.
You'll need special Ethernet drivers on your Newt and you'll need a
connection from your Newt to you iMac to get this connection going of
course.
Either a Newton user that can beam you or a card with the needed
packages on it will get you out of this.
There is a card lending initiative for people that are stuck like this
right here on the list, guess somebody will chime in...

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html