Re: [NTLK] Looking for a Barcode Scanner

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 18:43:10 PST

Bruce E. Durocher II wrote:

> Considering how many CueCats are lying around out there, is there a
> way you can rig one to work with a Newton? Are they drastically
> different from the InPath scanner?

Yes, they are, since the CueCat has a keyboard or USB interface, while the
InPath scanner is a serial connection. Not many barcode scanners have serial
connections. Even fewer that I've seen have the full decoding capabilities in
a pen size.

I also use mine on my PC with a Belkin F5U103 USB to serial adapter, since it
has a miniDIN-8 serial port. I wrote a quick and dirty "driver" for it in VB
that echoes what the scanner reads.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html