[NTLK] 2100 repair project

From: Russ Bravo (russbravo_at_lineone.net)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 03:37:54 PST

Hi guys

Just to say I've got a roughed up 2100 going on eBay UK at the moment:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2767087106&category=171
&rd=1

If any Newtontalk member is interested, come back to me ASAP and I may be
able to end the auction if no-one else has bid. Meant to offer it to the
list first, but forgot!

Here's the item description, in case you have any problems with the above
postage cost only. As ever, mail me off-list.

- - - -

"Right, here's an interesting repair project for you Newt lovers - or an
Apple fan who fancies delving into a MessagePad's innards.

This is a genuine Apple Newton MessagePad 2100 that seems to have had a bit
of rough treatment:

First the bad news:

* The screen is cracked, so while you get stylus response at the top and
very bottom of the screen (with a bit of guesswork - eg aim about a
centimetre left of where you want to tap), there's no response in the middle
third
* The speaker is faulty - there's no sound, whatever volume level you set
* There's no rechargeable battery in the battery compartment

Now the good news:

* It's running OS 2.1 and as much as I could test seems to work fine. It
runs without a problem off a Newton power adapter
* The backlight works fine
* Both PCMCIA slots receive cards and read them without a problem
* The power supply socket and D-connector socket are both intact and work
fine
* There's a door hinge, but no door. The port cover door is in place
* It comes with a replacement stylus
* The casing is in not too bad nick

You can buy replacement screens, battery packs, AA battery cages and all
sorts of other accessories and parts from J&K Sales in the US - take a look
on eBay.com for starters. I'd thoroughly recommend them, having bought from
them myself. So with some work and a little expenditure, this 2100 could
well be doing sterling service again.

However, because of the screen issue I am selling this Newton as 'spares or
repair'. It is not, repeat NOT, a working usable Newton and so I'm afraid I
can't accept returns. Any bidder must accept that it's a repair project with
no guarantees.

Anyhow, could be lots of fun resurrecting the beast, which is still way
ahead of its time and beats most other PDAs hollow! With a highly supportive
community at www.newtontalk.net and loads of free software at www.unna.org,
it's still one of the most sought after PDAs of the computer generation.

Join the Green Revolution and get bidding!

Postage and packing: GB 5.00

Read my feedback (211 at last count, 100%) and bid with confidence!

International bidders, contact me for a shipping quote. Only acceptable
payment option for international bidders is PayPal.

NB - bidders without positive feedback must mail me before bidding. If you
use PayPal to pay, please add 5% to final total towards PayPal charges.
Thanks!"

Cheers

Russ, UK

PS I still have boxed, unused MP130s going, some with boxed 9W power
adapters, and may soon have an eMate or two.
Other items if anyone else is interested include a Newton keyboard with the
number 0 key missing (works fine otherwise) and a non-upgraded MP2000 with a
very scuffed screen and a broken D-connector (actually works OK and reads
handwriting surprisingly well). Offers on the latter two items welcome
off-list.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html