Re: [NTLK] Who Wants Shell Access?

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 04:12:58 PST

On Monday, November 17, 2003, at 10:15 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> Using shell access and terminal emulation on your Newton would,
> technically, allow you to surf the web (in text of course), send &
> receive
> email (using GoFetch Shell Transport), save files to the server for
> unlimited storage or backup space for your Newton, play text based
> games,
> plus a lots of other modern internet things.

GoFetch Shell does work and I used it a bit on my MP130- OK, I used it
quite a bit.

It has some limitations; IIRC, the details were that if you get much
email, it WILL have problems receiving. You will lose data after
perhaps 10 or 15 incoming messages. Sending always worked fine.

I used my MP130 with shell access for quite some time (about 2 years)
and ended up using pt100 and running pine in the terminal window.

And for the guy who was having problems setting up the modems for
dialup- check your cables and jacks, it sounds like you are getting
noise from somewhere, increase your AT command for loss of carrier
timeout perhaps. I have used a variety of faster modems, internal and
external, on my 2100 and 130 and not seen that. Dropped connections
leaving the unix modem pool in an undetermined state sounds like a
separate issue.

The 800# shell access sound fun and useful.

Brian

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html