Re: [NTLK] eWorld (Was: Who Wants Shell Access?)

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 17:51:15 PST

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 4:11 PM, RossO wrote:
> For people who used the service, was there an eWorld 'client' for
> Newton? I was under the impression that really the only thing that
> eWorld did with Newtons was shuffle e-mail around.

I've only been a Newton user for about 6 months, that first chance I've had
to pick one up :-( but I HAVE been a MacUser since 1985 :-) As I recall,
eworld was in response to the growth and popularity of "Online" services
like CompuServe and AOL. So it WAS a client->dialup->server type of system
even though the client appears tightly integrated into the Newton. The
Newton was only one type of computer the dial-up system had to handle.

More recollection reminds me that eworld actually evolved from Apple's
internal education, sales, & support network (also dialup)...but I
digress...it all just means there was a back office, system of computers,
user databases, applications, billing, tracking, storage, etc. that
controlled the whole sha-bang. That's what the Newton will be expecting to
see when it dials into a machine by using its built-in eworld transport.

I would guess that Yes, the Newton connected to eworld may have just
shuffled email around, but I can do that now with my Newton 120. What I
would like to see is an EETransfer interface (via a shell account) to
access the advanced services I NOW have available thanks to the World Wide
Web and High Speed DSL.

* Access to my 1.5GB of online Storage for documents/backups/file transfers
* Seamless Syncing to myYahoo! & then to Outlook for (cough) Windows
* emailing Pagers & Phones (I can do that now btw)
* Easy access to local printers or fax machines (by sending an email)
* Automated news and weather downloading

<SOAPBOX>
Take all those services they are now making available to those dinky cell
phones owners. And charging $1 here for that ring sound. And $3 there for
that game. And BTW you can only use it for 90 days...WHAT! is Microsoft
behind the cell phone industry!
</SOAPBOX>

Rather, imagine, a quick, unattended phone call by your Newton every
morning to your shell account and your Newton would be preloaded with (as
my wife might say) "All the data your little 64MB Flash Card could handle,
and then some!".

Wouldn't that make your Newton that much...more...Hip?

Ron

--
Sent using Cyberdog for Mac OS
--
   |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET
--
From the "Who says, 'Size Doesn't Matter'" file:
  Ever notice, when someone comments on your Newton PDA,