[NTLK] Fun things to do with a Newton 120 and Unix

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 15:49:00 PST

Having fun with my Newton and learning Unix too. I've finally completed my
Newton -> Unix setup. This is an official "Hello...testing...it works!"
message to the NewtonTalk list.

Hardware

Newton MessagePad 120
  OS v2.0 (516263)-1
  2MB Internal RAM (346K Free)
  2MB PC Card Flash RAM (472K Free)
  Maximum Available Heap (44828 Free)
  Newton Fax Modem Card / XJack by Megahertz (2400 data/9600 fax)
  2100mah NiMh

Quadra 840av
  OS: NetBSD 1.6.1 (STABLE)
  64MB RAM
  2 x 2GB Compaq ST12550N SCSI-2 Hard Disks
  Farallon EtherWave NuBus
  USRobotics Sportster Voice 33.6 Faxmodem

Software
  GoFetch Shell Transport v1.2.6 for email
  mgetty+sendfax v1.1.3 for dial-up shell access plus fax-to-email relay

A few more bugs to work out but everything appears to be working. The
dial-in line also serves as a fax-to-email relay that sends my faxes as
gif's to my.yahoo account. I can't (as of yet :-) read the faxes on my
Newton, but I do receive a short email about the fax (caller ID / name /
date / time / size / etc.) that I can read.

On trick to getting GoFetch Shell working was setting the Newton's Modem
Prefs to Hayes Basic (instead of Newton Modem) even though it's a Newton
Modem. The connect/login process was then able to get beyond modem
handshaking, instead of hanging up immediately after connecting.

Another trick was creating a new user for the dial up access with just a
default "/usr/bin/sh" shell access, no costomizations, default prompt set
to "$", etc. That allowed GoFetch to work more reliably with it's scripting
mechanism. I watched as GoFetch scripts, logged on, telneted to the
appropriate smtp & pop servers, and successfully sent and received my
email.

The next problem I'm working on (if anyone has some experience) is getting
GoFetch to properly logout and reset the tty line when hanging up. After
the first connect, I cannot reconnect until the user log's out...freeing
mgetty to regain control of the line.

The script status window (in GoFetch) indicates that a "logout" is issued
and the Newton hangs up, but the user remains logged in and mgetty doesn't
reset the modem.

I will probably have to figure out how to get NetBSD to logout the user
once the modem has lost the carrier.

Ron

--
Sent using GoFetch for the Newton
--
             |\_
            _(/(c__                       Sarah - Power Macintosh 8600
           {/ (_wwv`;,                  Citadel - Compaq Proliant 850R
          _/ _) `^'(`;`),,                  EinBinder - MessagePad 120
         {/  _)    `*(:'(:)*                   FireGate - Quadra 840av
                 More processing power than some third world countries
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html