Re: [NTLK] Help needed: Connect to PC via Dil tester

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 18:29:35 PST

Frank Gruendel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to connect to a Windows 98 (or XP if that's easier) PC via
> TCP/IP using Thomas Tempelmann's Dil Tester. It is supposed to work,
> but doesn't. The card is ok since I am usually able to connect through
> AppleTalk.
> Would anybody out there who has successfully done this
> be willing to work me through the process step by step? It is for a
> good cause, I would like to add this to the card lending service page
> if I can get it to work. If there are instructions out there in the
> world wide web, I'd be thankful for an url.

Sure thing. But did you see the file called "Newton DIL Tester Notes.txt"
that comes with the DIL Tester application?

First of all, you need to know the IP address of your PC. Your Newton has to
be connected to the network / Internet in such a way that it can find your PC.
  Plugged into the same hub or switch is probably going to work.

You also need the TCP/IP dock extension installed on the Newton.

You will *also* need a default internet setup established in your current
location in Owner's Info, I think, since this seems to be what the TCP/IP dock
thing will use to connect to the network.

So, assuming you know that your PC is at, say, 192.168.0.3, do the following:

On the PC side: run the DIL Tester. If this is the first time, it will show
you the connection prefs panel. Uncheck serial and check off TCP/IP - leave
the port number. Hit OK. The app will start to listen for the Newton. If it
gives you an error after a few seconds, just close and open the app again -
this appears to be a bug.

On the Newton: open Dock, choose "TCP/IP (TT)" as your connection type. Tap
the Setup button that appears. Tap "New" in the new window. Give this
connection a name, provide the address of your PC (192.168.0.3), leave the
port, close the form. Make sure the connection you just make is selected,
close this window to go back to the main Dock screen.

Plug in your Ethernet card and network cable, of course :) Hit Connect. Your
Newton will establish a network connection, then connect to your
still-listening PC. Once the connection is made, you'll see a dialog with
"Ready" on the Newton and a new window will appear in the DIL Tester app.

Hope these made sense, I have a bad cold which might be affecting my higher
brain functions :)

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html