Re: [NTLK] Audio In/Out Adaptor and Keyboard

From: Humphreys, David (URB) (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 05:55:41 PST

No. But I have some.

> Here's a theory. The Newton keyboard is a serial
> device. What we would need to do is to get a small palmtop...
<snip>

Except that there is an exchange between the Newton keyboard and the Newton when it is plugged in. Without a software
hack, the keyboard won't be recognized. (Well I guess a truly serial device could be seen by a terminal program but you
lose a lot of functionality that way).

The best way to do this is to interface a key matrix with a small pic device and program it to look like a Newton
keyboard. That way you would retain all the existing functionality. The output of the pic would just connect to the
serial port as normal. It doesn't matter if this is internal or external.

Nice project for someone.

The best solution would be to wire it up to the second serial port and write some software to handle it. This is more
work but would allow a permanent keyboard connection AND a serial port.

PCBman

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html