Re: [NTLK] Connecting to Moc

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 07:52:47 PDT

Il me semble que le 30/05/03 à 9:14 -0500, Philip Bennett nous racontait:
>After several months of living without my Newton (long story), I found
>myself wanting that big screen and great HWR again. No problem. Just
>reconnect to my PowerMac, running OSX 2.6. Unfortunately I had deleted NCU
>that I was using. So I tried downloading it. Now I get an error saying that
>there is no Sharing Control Panel in Classic and NCU can't connect because
>it can't put a name in (I swear it was there before). I would like to try
>Escale but I have to get the fast serial packages onto my Newton 2100, which
>is hard when you can't get it connect to your computer. I've also tried
>Newten sync but it doesn't do anything.

Escale can connect with the same means NCU can (AppleTalk and Serial).

You only need the additional serial packages for faster transfers as
the Newton (and NCU) natively can only do 38400.

Be sure to get a recent build (say 1.0.1). Here Escale crashes badly
when I select the fastest speed (200K something). But I installed
packages on a freshly formatted MP120 no later than yesterday (four
packages in a row from my PowerBook with a Keyspan adapter, dropped
them all on the Interface window, and later a package from a G3 Beige
without any adapter -- I had to specify the printer port in the
preferences for the Beige).

If your experience is different, it's probably that I fixed some bugs
since 1.0.1 and it's time for an update (I wanted more bug fixes or
new features though, for example after the pacakge installation, I
disconnected from the Newton and Escale went crazy sucking all CPU).
You can contact me offlist so I can send you the exact build I used
yesterday.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/