Re: [NTLK] [OT] Stupid things

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 06:31:05 PDT

On Friday 23 May 2003 14:29, PaulMmn wrote:
> re: electric fences-
>
> Most of them use internal circuitry to boost the 12v up to something
> that even a cow can't ignore!
>
> And they -do- put out a powerful pulse! I was fishing with a buddy
> once along a small meandering creek. I was balancing along a steep
> bank, and lost my balance. I grabbed onto the nearby fence so I
> wouldn't fall. >ZzzzzzzzAAAAAAAP<
>
> If the fence wasn't pulsed (ie 5 seconds on / 5 seconds off) I'd
> -still- be holding on to the wire! While the current is flowing
> through you, you -can't- move!
>
> Even now I can hardly walk past a wall outlet without reaching for a
> paperclip. (:

Wow! Five second zaps! Electric fences over here give short pulses about
every two seconds. It really feels like someone hitting you with a
two-by-four on whatever bodypart that happens to touch the fence.

(Silly anecdote: many many years ago my brother once was stupid enough to
pee on an electric fence(*). He really was lucky we were at the far end of
a circuit and there wasn't much juice left. Still, it was funny(**). And
yes, to my knowledge there was no permanent damage done to the equipment.
The fence was fine too.)

I've tried my head off, but there's no way I could come up with anything
Newton-related in this post.

____
(*) It took some aiming, but boys are good at that at age eight.

(**) Yeah -- well, we grew up on a farm. People tend to develop a different
sense of humour when surrounded by livestock.

--
Karel Jansens.
Don't send me HTML-based e-mails, my mail program is set up to ignore them.