Re: [NTLK] Stupid things

From: Anton Aylward (anton_at_the-wire.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 03:53:19 PDT

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 04:24, Antony Lawrence wrote:
> On 23/5/03 8:27 AM, "Bograt" <bograt__at_talk21.com> wrote:
>

> > On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 04:00 am, eric engle wrote:
> >
> >> Though I would never ever put a powerbook charger in
> >> my mouth - who knows what happens with WALL CURRENT.
> >
> > It isn't wall current. It is 24 volts, not really all that harmful,
> > just around ooh 3 times as nasty as a fully charged rectangle battery.
> > Wall current should kill you really I think we use 240 volts in the UK
> > so that is nasty, however the earth should sort out some of the problem.

There's an old saying in the Ham Radio fraternity:

   Its the volts that Jolt
   But the mils that Kill

I've seen someone blown across the room when his screwdriver
fell across the 5v busbar of a VAX power supply and instantly
vapourize.

A car battery, unlike a the 2 cubic inch batteries, can supply
a lot of current. A PSU drawing on wall power - 240v or 110v,
it doesn't matter - can also pull a lot of current.

Its one thing to ouch the terminal with a dry hand that offers
a high resistance, another to dip it in your moth and make a
good low resistance contact with saliva.

DON'T DO THAT!

--
Anton Aylward <anton_at_the-wire.com>
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html