Re: [NTLK] OMP Battery Life

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 05:00:32 PDT

on 22/5/03 1:55 AM, Matt Janeczek at MJJ14_at_aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone know the relative battery life ratio between a 110 and an OMP?
> I noticed on the box of the 110 it says improved battery life, and the 110 I
> have lasts a very long time on alkaline batteries. I am buying an OMP for
> mygrandpa, and was wondering how often he is going to have to change the
> batteries. Any ideas? I hope it doesn't gulp up power because that can get
> expensive. Thanks!
> -Matt

I don't know the ratio, but I have an OMP, and the battery life is terrible,
whether on alkalines or the rechargeable pack. I doubt you could find a
rechargeable pack that still holds a decent charge. To use alkalines or
loose rechargeable cells, you need a special battery cage (not easy to find,
but they were available a few months agao - check the list archives).

The OMP used AAA cells. I think the 110 used AAs, like the 120 and 130.
That's probably one of the main reasons for the improved battery life. I
have both a 120 and 130 and they are OK on batteries. AAAs also cost more
than AAs.

Bottom line: feeding alkalines to an OMP will get expensive. I think the
only viable solution is getting a battery cage and some rechargeable AAAs,
which your grandpa will have to charge outside the Newton.

Michael

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html