Re: [NTLK] mp3, mad max and ata

From: Gert Menke (g.menke_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 00:13:55 PDT

Hi,

I am using ATA support, too.

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 12:25:59AM +0300, Eckhart Köppen wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2003 12:46:34 -0700, Edward Humes wrote:
> >> from MAD Max 1.0 onwards, this is not needed any more.
> > that's what I thought, too, but apparently for storage on an ATA card,
> > you do. Without it, I could not put away an audio file to the ATA card.
> Ok, I'll look into that. It tries to create the Audio soup on the
> default store, maybe that failed somehow.
It works fine here...

> > the choke point for me -- but now I realize my newton hadn't crashed,
> > it was just crawling. It takes at least a half hour to store a 4 mb mp3
> > on my ata card.
> Ouch.
I have the same experience here. ATA support seems pretty stable now, but
it is sometimes extremely slow, especially when dealing with large amounts
of data it often seems like the system is locked up but it is only
crawling. Sometimes, however, when I don't want to wait any longer, I
notice that not even the reset button seems to work. So maybe it does
indeed freeze the system. :-/

> How is playback? I have experienced choppy playback from a
> fragmented flash card... no matter what tricks I tried in the code
> (e.g. buffering it before playing it), it always sounded crappy. But
> after formatting the card, everything was fine.
I didn't have such problems here (yet).
Did you reencode the mp3? You won't need more than 22kHz, Mono, 56kbps, I
guess. That should improve things since less data needs to be transferred
from the card and it can save lots of storage space, too.

Regards,
Gert

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html