Re: [NTLK] GUI for Pen Computing WAS RE: A thank you and newcomer report

From: Alan Toops (alantoops_at_cs.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 06:49:33 PDT

On 5/13/03 11:57 PM, "Tony Kan" <tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz> wrote:

> I suppose weighing itself against that is the need to make it easy for
> people to transition from one metaphor to another. It is always tricky
> trying to work out a suitable path for consumers to navigate that optimises
> adoption rates while introducing new concepts and utility and consequently
> lengthening the learning curve/investment required.
>
> While looking into Tablet PCs I recalled that there was an article somewhere
> that the Apple HWR technology had gone on to be included in Calligrapher by
> Paragraph. I might have got my facts wrong here and I stand open to be
> corrected.
>
> On surfing to their site I see that they have changed name to Phat
> Corporation. Calligrapher lives on and provides HWR anywhere on the screen
> for a Pocket PC. I noticed that they have a product called PenOffice which
> allows HWR anywhere on a Tablet PC or a pen-enabled Windows setup such as
> the Fujitsu Stylistic tablets. I wonder if anyone on the list has had any
> experience with either Tablet PCs or other windows tablets. How do these
> environments compare to the Newton OS environment for usability?
>
> In NZ, I noticed that a major grocery supplier has started using them for
> on-site inventory control.
>
> Cheers
> Tony.
>
> PO Box 33-200
> 106 Panorama Rd
> Sumner
> Christchurch
> New Zealand
> Ph +64-25-339-745
> Fax +64-3-326-7712
>
> [Tony Kan] <snip>
> Only by ridding yourself of the inapplicable metaphors can you
> get a good UI. Microsoft doesn't seem to grasp that.
>
> Dylan Stewart AC5ZH
>
> [Tony Kan] <snip>

Tony,

Several years ago, I was using one of the grid tablets that used the early
version of windows customized for pen tables. 386 chip with 64 megs of Ram,
HWR was flawed at best , altho my hand written notes were printable.

Generally, the device had a high cool factor but was heavy and hard to use
comfortably. The RF pen was subject to easy damage and I lost several of
them pretty quickly.

Because of that experience, I will stay away from the Tablet Pcs. As
Microsoft has not really learned from that previous experiment.

Alan Toops

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html