[NTLK] A thank you and newcomer report

From: Edward Humes (ehumes_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 15:27:55 PDT

Dear list members,

After six weeks of using and learning about my Newton -- with the
gracious and patient (not to mention knowledgeable) help of newtontalk
members, and the incredible resources of UNNA, WikiWikiNewt, and the
list archives, I have accomplished the following:

        -- Wireless link to my iBook and airport base-station for NCU,
downloading of rtf documents, Simple Mail and Newts Cape internet
access.
        -- Successful syncing of iCal and Address Book via newtsync and
keyspan serial adapter (goodbye PalmPilot IIIx and gotype keyboard!)
        -- Successful printing via Printpack 2.0 to my Epson Action Laser
1500. Not even my iBook can do that, since there is no support for
parallel ports in os x. (The printpack, by the way, seems to support
hundreds of printers -- i have the original supported printers list and
it is unbelievably huge. Would that list be something that should be
placed on UNNA archives?)
        -- Successful use of Mad Max and fetch url to download and play mp3
files. (can't wait to get my audio dongle from Daniel Padilla).
        -- Successful installation of ATA support, with much patient help from
Paul Guyot, even while he was in Mexico. My Newton's storage options
are now limitless (beware the slowness on the Newton of the IBM
microdrive, however).
        -- Discovered the quite excellent Backgammon program from Standalone,
a great time waster.

But the main joy and utility for me rests with the Newton's core
technology, the handwriting recognition. I am a journalist and writer,
and I have for many years yearned for something that could make my
voluminous note-taking a more efficient and organized process. All of
the other technologies I've considered have at best disappointed. The
crosspad didn't work and was pulled from the market by the time I heard
about it. The IO Pen does not live up to its promise, because it
captures only images -- you can accomplish the same thing with an
ordinary pen and paper and a cheapo scanner. And the new tablet PCs
are unweildy, expensive and their handwriting recognition seems pretty
primitive, at least so far. But then I read the New York Times piece a
few months back about the Newton and its growing legion of devotees,
programmers who have immeasurably enhanced and improved it, and users
who make it their main or only computer. I had to try it out, and I am
so glad I did.

The size of the writing surface is almost the same as a reporter's
notebook (except, admittedly, I can't jam the Newton in my backpocket).
Still, it is far superior in terms of screen size and function to Palms
and pocket PCs, without the impossible bulk of the new Tablets. It is
no harder to carry around than a notebook and pen, and a lot cooler.

I have found that, after working with the learn-my-handwriting feature
activated and making additions to my word list, the newton is now adept
at recognizing my cursive handwriting (which is none too good) with
great accuracy, no matter how fast I scribble. Usually if I find the
writing readable, the Newton does, too. The amount of time and
aggravation this has already saved me, by making the storing,
searching, copying and organization of notes nearly effortless, is
incalculable. The chore of searching through a stack of yellow legal
pads filled with stale and barely remembered notes is my bane as a
writer; now I can find and read everything at a glance. Every writer
and reporter should have one of these!

It is incredible to me that a device with so little system memory can
accomplish so much, so quickly, and equally mind-boggling that Apple
would abandon such a promising and capable device. My only slight gripe
is notepad's unfortunate scroller: I hate it when it makes all the text
slide out of view. (Is there any package out there that can make it
scroll one or a few lines at a time instead of a whole screen?) But
this is a minor point. My belated discovery of the Newton has turned
out to be even more beneficial to me than my switch from Windows to Mac
(which is saying a lot, because I love my iBook).

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I just thought I'd say
thank you to the list for all the help in making my experience with the
newton productive and joyful. You are an inspiring group and a force
for good, selfless and smart.

Sincerely,

Ed Humes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html