Re: [NTLK] Horrible airport reception (Chicago)

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 13:12:16 PDT

On Tue, 13 May 2003 Lallang_at_aol.com wrote:

> Well, true, there's that solution, too. :-)

While we're off-topic on this topic, I'd like to throw in my "horrible
airport reception" with a Newton and bring it back on-topic.

I was going through the security check in Chicago and while trying to boot
my boots back on, the rent-a-guard stopped me.

RaG: "Sir, do you have a portable DVD player?"

I was genuinely confused.

Me: "No."

He ruffled around in my bag as it came out of the x-ray beast and held out
the Newton, accusingly, and asked me what it was.

Me: "It's a Newton."

RaG: "A *what*?"

Me: "It's a PDA."

He flips the top up on the leather glove (a show of skill which surprised
me) and makes a writing-gesture on the screen.

RaG: "You mean one of those that you write on?"

Me: "...Yeah...."

I was shocked to hear the disdain in my own voice since I usually hide
such emotion, but for some reason being asked if my Newton was a portable
DVD player didn't sit well. I guess the large screen threw him off.

Anyone else have any airport-security horror stories?

-Jeff

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html