Re: [NTLK] NHttplib Fetch URL vs Jpeg

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 23:28:01 PDT

On Monday, May 12, 2003, at 05:43 PM, Tom McDougal wrote:

> I used the "Fetch URL" feature of the new NHttplib to down load a jpeg
> to my In box. But I can not view it. I have tried to open it with
> NewtsCape, and I have the jpeg plug-in installed. Am I confused about
> how this is supposed to work?

No ;) At the moment, Fetch URL uses its own, very simple (but also very
logical) way of storing things in the Inbox. Nothing fancy, just the
data and the content type. I did it this way because it is the most
universal way and would work for all content types.

Using the data is at the moment something that has to be done at the
application level - the same way that IC/VC imports iCalendar and vCard
data (and installs packages) and MAD Max imports MP3 data.

It would be almost trivial (and a nice exercise to get into NewtApp
programming, hint, hint!) to implement something like a picture viewer
("Images"?) that would maintain its own storage and can import (support
"Put Away" is the correct term) from the Inbox. Or to implement what's
called Stationery for the image/... MIME types.

The overall picture shows how well thought out the whole Newton OS
really is: A transport puts things into the Inbox, using a documented
data format. Any application can now register to handle this data, it
doesn't have to deal anymore with getting the data onto the Newton. In
addition to that, Stationery can be used to display data independent
from the Application (this can be used to view things in the Inbox).

I'm currently dealing mostly with Transports (e.g. IrOBEX), but the
following steps are not forgotten, as you can see with IC/VC.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html