Re: [NTLK] My new NEWTON :)

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 23:26:57 PDT

Hi Bernie,

first of all, welcome to the Newt community!
I am happy to hear that you fell in love with the Newt, we all like out
Newts and are still convinced that this is still one of the best PDAs you
can get.
Of course it is not anymore the most recent hardware, but it still works
very well.

You are indeed very fast in doing your decisions.
But it would have been more wise to get some advice from the Newt community
first.
The MP 120 is not bad at all, but the recommendation would have been to buy
an MP2000 or an MP2100.

The best way to connect your Newt would be Ethernet, but there you are
somehow limited with your MP120 because there is only one PCMCIA slot which
you may want to keep for a flash storage card. But the MP120 is ready for
the AppleTalk if you have the required hardware like LocalTalk or PhoneNet.
I used Localtalk in combination with a Ether to Localtalk Bridge. But this
setup is quiet complicated.

To find a USB to serial adaptor might be easier. This has also been reported
in the list. If you check the list archives you will find it.

InfraRed would be great, but unfortunately it does not work, because the
Newt was one of the very first devices equipped with InfraRed and the IrDa
communication standard has been settled later. So this is a matter of
incompatibility between the protocols. In principle this could be solved by
writing a special driver for the Newt, but unfortunately we do not have it
yet. But the communication between some mobile phones (Nokia) and the Newt
works in terms of transferring names and telefone numbers.

But of course you can connect your mobile to your Newt via serial interface,
provided the mobile has a RS232 interface and built in modem. This has been
tested for some Nokia and Siemens models. There is also a PCMCIA phone card
available that works with the Newt, but again, you are limited with only one
PCMCIA slot. Of course you can insert a PCMCIA modem card as well and use it
for fax / Email / Internet.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html