Re: [NTLK] [OT] to X-Jack or not to X-Jack (cable help)

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 07:15:03 PDT

on 5/11/03 4:31 AM, Martin Joseph at martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com wrote:

> Unfounded in my experience.
    I've seen three X-Jack modems where the inner cable to the X-Jack (which
is flexed each time the jack is opened) had given up the ghost. One was on a
modem used in a laptop at work, another was a modem I owned and the third
was a used one I bought (I was able to take it back for a refund since it
didn't work). The store owner popped that one open, and sure enough the
ribbon cable was partially broken from flexing.
    I've also seen some where the jack gets worn and will not stay
retracted.
    Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the X-Jack system.
    Dongles have their problems, but at least there is a chance of getting a
new dongle whereas a dead X-Jack means your modem is junk.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html