Re: [NTLK] Newtwiki too much for MP120 with MI5

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 14:17:05 PDT

Henry wrote:
> With MoreInfo 5 already on my MP120, installing NewtWiki=20
> leaves it gasping for more memory. The newton is now=20
> constantly telling me that it can't perform an action because=20
> of lack of memory. I think the MP120 is too heap shy. Can=20
> anyone tell me how to uninstall NewtWiki? I will eventually=20
> have to get a 2x00 series in order to really try NewtWiki.

        NewtWiki isn't terribly large, but it will consume more memory
as you use it (to maintain the back list). I've been considering moving
the backlist into a soup, which would trade off heap consumption with
speed. I don't know, though. From my off-the-cuff tests, it looks like
NewtWiki consumes about 27K of heap in it's normal state, growing from
there as you follow links. Maybe I should add a setting limiting the
size of the back list? I haven't had a problem with back list size, but
then again I'm running on a 2100...
        I do know for a fact that MoreInfo consumes a large pile of
heap. I'm not surprised that you can't run both at the same time on
it...
        As far as uninstalling it, though, just delete the NewtWiki
package. That'll get rid of the NewtWiki app, plus unregister all the
hooks on Notes. If you've created any items in the bookmark app (the
main NewtWiki app), you'll have a soup in your storage folder called
"Wiki" which you can delete.

Jim Anderson

Blardy blar blar blar...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html