Re: [NTLK] iPod mutates!-still *just* a digital walkman

From: Scott Clitheroe (scott_at_clitheroe.ca)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 16:38:32 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nathan Turnage" <nturnage_at_andadv.com>
To: <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] iPod mutates!-still *just* a digital walkman

> I, for one, am tired of paying $8+ of my hard earned, heavily taxed,
> health insurance-depleted, and tightly stretched funds for the crap
> currently on the airwaves or on the silver screen. I am sick and tired
> of paying a very-inflated $20 for a CD with one decent song on it. Or
> paying (wasting my money) for a heavily-hyped movie like Daredevil or
> 90% of the other craptastic flicks sucking you dry at the local "theater"!

It's your choice as a consumer what you pay for, and what you decide not to.
Why are you paying money for entertainment you don't enjoy? I don't
understand your logic here...

> Besides how much money do the artists really get after the record labels
> take their cut? They make their money from the shows they give. The
> labels are little more than pimps, bitch-slappin' the legislators so
> they can get they mo-nay. Talkin like they are eatin beans and rice like
> me, like they can't pay their bills, cuz some dude put his collection on
> the net. These guys are BILLIONARES!!! And because they make the
> proverbial fat cash, they push their weight around Districtus Corruptus
> and get the little people thown in the clink, so they can make another
> $20 off my sorry a$$.

You seem to feel like you are being taken advantage of. Again, I ask, if
you are feeling so victimized, why are you participating in an economy you
can't stand??? If you are concerned about the artists you care about, why
don't you send them some money directly?

> Apple can chew on my yinyang. I want faster computers that can keep up
> with the win-hosed boxes, a tablet PC competitor to replace the Newton,
> and a copy of iDVD that will work with *external* DVD burners. Instead
> we get the next *big* thing: a Napster for $$$ service and a hard drive
> walkman. Once again, APPLE disappoints.

Perhaps Apple is not your ideal entertainment product manufacturer...have
you though of looking at alternatives?

> Yeah, the new iPod can play AAC files, but can it play mods, or let you
> surf the net, or check your email, or actually enter text in the "Notes"
> app? It is still just a pretty digital walkman.
>
> [deep breath]
>
> OF course, that's just my $.02

The iPod does one thing, and does it well. If you want to play mods, surf
the net, check your email, and take "Notes", have you thought of looking at
any of the half dozen or more PDA's on the market that can do all of this?

I really can't understand your rant...You seem to hate the music industry,
and don't want to pay what they are asking for music (which is fine -
support indie bands), and you dislike the iPod because it doesn't do what
you want it to do (try checking out a newer Palm or PocketPC device)...I'm
sorry, but Newton isn't coming back as you know it, and even if it did,
you'd be bitching about it being too complex because it tries to do too
much.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm amazed how anybody could be upset by Apple's latest
offering...I'm not, even though I can't afford it...

-Scott

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html