Re: [NTLK] WiFi Printing with a Newt?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 12:39:33 PDT

Il me semble que le 2/5/03 à 12:54 -0400, Karl and Kathleen nous racontait:
>I am not well versed on this subject (obviously), but is this where
>apple's Rendezvous would come in to play? Could the TCP/IP that the
>fellows at Kallisys created be tweaked to make this happen?

This would not be sufficient.
There are several protocols at stake.
a/ discovery of the printer. Rendezvous or NBP can do it. One could
also enter the location of the printer manually.
b/ connecting with the printer. The Newton only does AppleTalk (I
think this is called PAP) or serial (parallel with an adapter).
c/ talking with the printer. The Newton can only do Postscript with
LaserWriters or bitmap with the few printers it supports.

The problem is that these built-in bits in the Newton are not that
easily separable. I looked some times ago how to build postscript
files directly from the Newton and it did not seem simple.

>Can the Mac be used as the server to connect to the printer?

The best approach seems to me to make no change or small changes on the Newton.

Small changes means it can connect say via TCP/IP and talk PostScript
and get a desktop computer play the role of a virtual or proxy
printer by translating the PostScript to a bitmap printer if all you
have is a bitmap printer (if you have a postscript printer, the
Newton could connect to it directly).

No change means that we write a PAP server and let the Newton connect
over AppleTalk. In fact, this already exists for Unix (maybe Linux)
but doesn't for MacOS X because it relies on its own implementation
of AppleTalk while MacOS X has one (maybe we could get it working by
disabling AppleTalk on MacOS X).

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/