Re: [NTLK] WiFi Printing with a Newt?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 12:27:00 PDT

On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 09:34 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> If your printer can advertises itself as a LaserWriter (which I doubt
> based
> on the description you're giving), then you should be able to print to
> it.
> Usually, to be able to print to a network printer from a Newton, the
> printer
> first has to support EtherTalk (AppleTalk over Ethernet cabling) or
> AppleTalk (AppleTalk over LocalTalk). Further, it has to be a
> PostScript
> printer. Non-PostScript printers have to be serial, which your Canon
> is not.

It would be great if there was a way to to print via LPR from the
Newt...

If there was a way to send Postscript via LPR, then a whole new world
of wireless printing would open for us (me) via the very cool
Ghostscript/Gimpprint thing...

I set up a couple of Epsons this way (1200 & 777) both hooked directly
to a dual G4/1Ghz, and then all the wireless machines (OS9) print
postscript via LPR. This works amazingly well, and the printers
(according to the customers) are faster this way then when hooked
directly and using epsons driver.

Is there a way to get the Newton print command to send postscript
output via TCP/IP?

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html