Re: [NTLK] OT iPod mutates - and a question

From: PaulMmn (PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 19:06:17 PDT

>Marty mumbled (in part):
>Still if you have the gear and the ears, there is no comparison between
>a good vinyl record and MP3's.

Marty, I agree that a vinyl record outstrips MP3s for quality.

New vinyl does (did) sound pretty good-- maybe S/N ratio of 45-55
db; stereo separation of 50-55 db. But as vinyl is played, it
-ages-; the needle (stylus) scrapes away some of the vinyl every time
it's played, so the quality goes down with each playing. And the
scritchy-scratch, scritchy-scratches, the pops, the snaps, the
crackles all add to the thrill of listening to a vinyl recording.

Personally, I prefer the audio quality of a CD recording-- that never
changes (unless you scratch the record).

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.nospam.com

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html