Re: [NTLK] iPod mutates!-still *just* a digital walkman

From: Nathan Turnage (nturnage_at_andadv.com)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 07:14:30 PDT

> I have a lot of MP3's that i would not be able to have if it weren't
> for Limewire, and Napster before that. These songs, and comedy albums
> and bits, simply aren't available on CD or in any other form. i might
> be able to find some of this stuff on vinyl if I spent the rest of my
> life searching garage sales and used record shops.....maybe.

Amen. THere were songs on Naptster that hadn't been seen on store
shelves for decades, as well as mixes of songs that you just couldn't
find anywhere else. Besides if I liked a band enough after getting some
MP3s, I would go to one of their shows. IMHO, The whole P2P thing has
helped bolster, not hurt the recording/movie industry, and brought
variety in an otherwise sterile money making scheme.

If it weren't for *preview* releases of movies getting into the hands of
the populace, the big fat top-heavy Corporations wouldn't now be
including all the bonus features they do. Freely available content
creates competition in the industry. Competitive companies now vie for
our $$$ by offering goods and services that noone else can provide. If
you can get your movies anywhere, then these conglomerates must offer
something more to separate you from your money. Make it worth your wile,
so to speak. As for myself, there are at least 3 movies I have bought as
a direct result of seeing the *preview* from the fine folks at Limewire
or kazaa. In the end they make money either way.

-N

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html