Re: [NTLK] Help! Still can't get wireless!!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 09:26:26 PST

on 29/03/03 11:36, Karl and Kathleen Prihoda at kapri_at_cfl.rr.com wrote:

> I have tried everything here with no luck!
>
> Here is my setup so far:
> Mac G4 running OS 10.2.4 (Mac is hardwired to router with ethernet
> cable)
> Newton 2000 running 2.1, NIE2, NetHopper, Newt's Cape
> D-link wireless router (DI-614+)
> Orinoco Silver WiFi card with Hiroshi's driver installed (trial version)
>
> Does the Newton use DHCP? I called my ISP and they told me to use DHCP.
>
> Here is my setup:
> mode: infrastructure
> channel 1 (ignored)
> SSID: Newton
> WEP Key: Hexidecim (Did not check use WEP box)
> I cannot get past the "Loading DHCP protocol" window, I then get a
> "nethopper error -60088" window.

Well, does your ISP supplies an unlimited number of TCP/IP addresses through
their DHCP server?

Is your router acting as a DHCP server?

Your Newton supports DHCP, but if your router also acts as a gateway, there
might be a problem right there. You would have to access the administration
of the router to be sure. Then, there is the possibility that your ISP
provides you with only one TCP/IP address, so your Newton wouldn't get one
when checking with your ISP's DHCP server, specially if your G4 has already
this address.

-Laurent.

brute force adj.: Describes a primitive programming style, one in which the
programmer relies on the computer's processing power instead of using his or
her own intelligence to simplify the problem, often ignoring problems of
scale and applying naive methods suited to small problems directly to large
ones. The term can also be used in reference to programming style:
brute-force programs are written in a heavyhanded, tedious way, full of
repetition and devoid of any elegance or useful abstraction (see also brute
force and ignorance).
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html