Re: [NTLK] Installing pkg with webserver

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 20:56:25 PST

Or, since you are using Apache, you can just put the
same line inthe .htaccess file (what? you don't have a
.htaccess file? Then create one. It's just a simple
text file that sets environment variables for that
particular directory! Do a Google on the web for MIME
types and .htaccess and you'll get more information
than you bargained...it's not hard, but it's not
obvious....in unix that is. That's another reason I
like Windows, IIS makes this stuff simple!
btw, that's what I did with mine. I don't synch, and
rarely backup to computer, so I just download all my
stuff from my webserver: http://newton.tek-ed.com. The
content is dynamically served using Cold Fusion and it
works amazingly well!
Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- John Charlton <johncharlton_at_mac.com> wrote:
> On OS X you may look in:
>
> /private/etc/httpd/mime.types
>
> I added the line:
>
> application/x-newton-compatible-pkg pkg
>
> On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 01:57 PM, Peter H.
> Coffin wrote:
>
> > Jordi Rosquillas wrote:
> >> machine, so I put the package available in the
> server's documents
> >> folder and browse
> >> to it with my MP2100's Net Hooper, but when I
> click in the package,
> >> instead of downloading the package (as it does in
> the unna files) it
> >> gets displayed as text. In other message there
> was said that I had to
> >> modify the apache server config so the package
> gets deliviered
> >> (served) as Newton Package, bu= t
> >> I don't know how to do this.
> >
> > You need to set the MIME type to deliver files
> with .pkg extensions to
> >
> > application/x-newton-compatible-pkg
> >
> > Mine's in /var/www/conf/mime.types, but you'll
> need to check your own
> > installation to see where this is for your
> machine.

=====
"A spirit of national masochism prevails, encouraged by the impudent core of effete snobs who characterize themselves as intellectuals"
 - Spiro Agnew, 1970