Re: [NTLK] Tips on importing database to the Newton

From: Michael Sciascia (msciascia_at_poc.it)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 02:03:28 PST

On Monday, Mar 17, 2003, at 18:46 Europe/Rome, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> eBase is really neat and easy to use. I did experiment with it and I
> was
> impressed with the quality, the ease of use and the options.
> Obviously, it
> doesn't have all the options that you would find in a full fledge
> database
> like FileMaker Pro, but I thought it was really nice.
Yes, it seems really nice and easy to use :-)
On the Newton it works flawlessly!

> There is also a
> transfer application that I tested under Classic in OS X and even
> though it
> doesn't mention AppleTalk support, it worked fine with AppleTalk over
> Ethernet.

I downloaded and installed the "eBase Connection Utility" but it
doesn't work :-(
I just get a message that says "eBase Connection Utility cannot
continue because there was an error initializing the menus".
I followed the instructions in the read me and I installed it several
times, but it doesn't seem to work.
The only way I found is to import in NewtonWorks the database as a
comma-delimitated text and then to reorganize the database in eBase,
which is quite uncomfortable.
This was just a little database with my DVDs and VHS to try sharing
databases between the Titanium and the Newton.
However it would be great to find a comfortable way to do so, it would
let me use the Newton more in a daily basis and maybe give one also to
our sales representatives ;-)

I will be trying Filepad via serial cable, even if it means to be stuck
with the Performa and not being able to transfer data directly form the
Titanium :-/

Thanks all for the support.
Michael

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html