Re: [NTLK] best memory & 802.11b cards?

From: Darrell Greenwood (lists1_at_telus.net)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 22:16:42 PST

On 3/10/03 at 8:02 PM -0700, Christoph Wiese wrote :

>I want to buy an 802.11b card to get online and a big memory card to
>hold all the great new software that has arrived on the scene lately.
>I'm looking for advice on what to get. I've read the FAQs and driver
>pages that indicate which cards can be made to work, but I'm coming at
>it from a slightly different direction: since these cards will only be
>used on the Newt, I'm only interested in those with the best
>compatibility, design, range, battery life, not slightly too big for
>the slots, etc. No point getting something marginal...

The Orinoco Silver Card I got for around $40 doesn't draw noticeable
current when plugged in and on 'standby". My 2100 averages 55 mA
whether it is in or not. When it connects to the net the current
averages 250 mA.

>PS: the Newton will be mainly coexisting with a TiBook and Apple 'Snow'
>AirPort base station.

My Newton coexists nicely with an iBook running 9.2.2 and a Apple
'Snow' Airport Base Station. The only problem I had was I couldn't
get WEP and DHCP running at the same time on the Newton. I suspect
the driver. However the workaround was easy, I just assigned a manual
IP to the Newton.

Cheers,

Darrell

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html