Re: [NTLK] Serial Channel 3

From: Daniel Padilla (dproldan_at_telefonica.net)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 15:01:28 PST

>What do I have to do to use Serial Channel 3 on my 2100 as an AppleTalk
>port? I know that I need an LT1323 to make it AppleTalk compatible, but
I'm
>not entirely sure how to wire it. I want to be absolutely sure that this
>won't damage my Newton.

    Messing with hardware always has the risk of breaking something, but I
have done very bad things to that port and it still works. IIRC, in the
LT1323 data sheet appears the exact wiring you need.

>What speed are the Newton's serial ports? RS -422 can support up to 10
>Mbaud. Can the Newotn drive them that fast?

    The newton can use up to 230400 bps with its internal clock. There's a
way to use external clocks trough the handshake pins, but i haven't tried
that.

>I also understand that I would need a driver to make it do anything. Would
>there be any way to make it work with the Dock application as an item in
the
>"Connect via" menu?

    That's the easy part. There is source code available to make new Dock
options, just specifying the 3rd serial port will make it work.

>Also, what are the specifications of the internal header? Is it the same
as
>the interconnect port? If so, what is its orientation?

    There seems to be a document that explains it, but it's never been
released. It's not the same as the interconnect port.

>Lastly, what happened to the Q blueprints? Did anyone ever get them?

    I was thinking the same yesterday.

D.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html