Re: [NTLK] Ongoing ethernet connection problems

From: Eric Schneck (eschneck_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 09:31:12 PST

>From: Russ Bravo (russbravo_at_lineone.net)
>Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 08:18:46 PST
>
>OK, this is really starting to bug me. I have - at least I >thought I had - all the necessary packages on my upgraded 2000 > to enable me to connect using
>my 3Com Megahertz ethernet card model 3CCE589ET.

>I've got two Macs which I'm trying to connect to: a 7300/200 >PowerMac (OS 8.6) and a G3 350mhz iMac (OS 9.0). I've done what >I think I should: eg Set Appletalk to Ethernet, make sure that > Newton Connection Utilities preferences are set to Appletalk.
>
>Each time the Newt looks for but cannot find the desktop >computer.

Mine did the same thing when I got my new Ethernet card this morning. My AppleTalk Dock form already had the Mac's name from when I was running LocalTalk, so I left that alone, and hit Connect and it connected to iTunes.

I think that there may be a problem with the Chooser under Ethernet, but the connection itself seems to work fine.

> Do I have to note the name of my Mac's hard drive (eg Russ
> iMac) in Owner Info as a new Worksite? Presumably this
> communicates info the Dock procedure.

It's not the hard disk name. Its the Mac's Owner Name, as shown in the File Sharing control panel. And I *think* you set it in the Dock, under Connect To->Other Worksite.

Eric

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html