Re: [NTLK] OK, Ethernet it is

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 21:27:39 PST

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 11:04 , Peter Cameron wrote:

>> Can you not just file the relevant extensions on a card, then pop that
>> card in the mail?
> For someone who has a method of installing the other ethernet software
> (NIE 2 etc.) on their Newt this would work. But if they had that ability
> they would not need a card.

The person with the dongle (heretoforth called the loaner) moves drivers
to a card then mails this card to the person with a new Newt but no dongle
(the loanee). Now the loaner has no drivers on his Newton - but wait! They
have a dongle! The loaner can thus copy the needed files back to his
Newton from the desktop. Meanwhile the loanee receives the card, moves the
drivers to the internal store and (fingers crossed) can now connect
through ethernet and install packages to their heart's content. Fingers
crossed they also return the card to the loaner. Shouldn't this work?

> I made a card for another list member. I put all the required stuff
> on a
> backup Newt, backed up the Newt to a 2MB card and mailed it off. He
> restored
> the card to his Newt and voila ethernet.

Yes, this is a way to 'copy', as opposed to move, the drivers, but it's
the 'restoring' part I worry about. Would this interfere with data on the
loanee's Newt? It's a little more effort for the loaner, but moving the
packages to the card seems more straight-forward.

I'd send you a card myself David-Michael, but all I have is my 32 and 20
backup. Anyone got a small card to try this with?

jc

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html