[NTLK] Close call of the clumsy kind...

From: Matt Tracey (mtracey_at_telusplanet.net)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 09:19:14 PST

Well, I just had my first real Newton scare today...

I was walking into my 9 am Sociology lecture this morning while talking
to my friend. I was also attempting to one-handedly open the screen
cover on the Newt. Of course it decides to start slipping as I'm
holding onto it by just the small edge, trying to rotate to cover back
behind so it clips into place. In my infinite wisdom I try to grab a
bit more of the case so that I have a less tenuous grasp on it. The net
result of this is a nice 2100 suddenly becoming airborne, as it
literally flies out of my hand and sails away down the lecture theatre.

Newtie flies down two levels of the class, lands flat on its back,
bounces off the landing and finally comes to rest, screen-first,
against the metal leg of a folding chair.

The class is silent. It's a small class (maybe 10-15 people total) and
quite a few of them have noticed the Newton before, and commented on
it. Now it appears I've just pitched it down the hall.

Of course, my first thought is "Oh #$^@!"
My next thought is "I remember reading about a demo guy who used to
smash these things around to show off their durability... I hope to God
that's a true story..."

Of course what I actually say is "Who wants to bet it's not broken?" No
takers.

Which, it turned out, was unfortunate. I could have made some money :-)
I made my way down the theatre, expecting a busted screen, or at least
broken door clips, and was quite pleasantly relieved when I got to it
and found that not only was it in perfect condition but the fall had
even clipped the door into place for me :o) I picked it up, flicked the
power switch and it came right on to my notes from my previous class.
Whew!

So, I suppose the moral of the story is you should wait until you're in
your seat before fiddling with your Newton... And you should most
certainly avoid attempting to look cool by suavely flipping open your
Newton as you sidle into the room... But, if you should forget, at
least these things are damn tough :-D

Matt

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html