Re: [NTLK] NEED a dongle...

From: Damien Batstone (djb_at_er.dtu.dk)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 02:05:44 PST

At 22:17 02-03-2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey all... I've been lurking for some time but need to ask you all if
>there is any way to get a 2100 dongle without spending $35-40? I really
>can't see spending that much for a tiny piece of plastic... especially
>when they were selling for $10-$15 only a few months ago. What
>happened? Why are they so scarce? Can someone direct me to one? Anyone
>have one they'd like to sell? I was trying to buy through eBay and got
>burned, and unfortunately I'd forfeited my other offer... damn.
>
>Also, what is the cheapest serial adapter I can buy that will work with
>the Newton? Keyspan's adapters are $80... I'm a poor student with a
>Newton and a dream of using it, but not by spending upwards of $120 on
>accessories just to get it to work with my iMac. I mean, the Newton
>only cost me around $140... it seems silly to spend that amount on a
>serial adapter and keyboard adapter...

<I write>

You don't _really_ need the dongle. 3C589D 3Com ethernet cards are very
cheap (mine was 9 bucks on ebay including postage, and there was just a
post advertising them around a similar level), and are much faster than
serial transfers (there's an option for OSX ethernet->newt isn't
there?). Then you just need to get all the drivers uploaded and test them
(using both dock, and simplemail or nettest), but any Newton friend with an
OS9 powerbook, or a dongle, or a nice person to mail you a flash card can
handle that.

Did we ever get the flash card exchange system started?

Cheers,

Damien

Damien Batstone
Environment & Resources DTU