Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V3 #119

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 13:07:39 PST

on 02/03/03 14:01, Martin Joseph at martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com wrote:

>> How about writing a system patch that would contain those extensions?
>> Then,
>> whenever you do a hard reset, you wouldn't have to reload those
>> extensions.
>>
>> Paul?
>
> Personally I think the above would be a waste of time.
>
> I have been using my MP2000/2100 for years(3?) and have never needed to
> do a hard reset. With the infrequency of this operation, what is the
> big deal about reloading a few goodies?

If you never did a hard reset, then I would guess that you have a lot of
space in the internal memory that is wasted. Whenever I do a hard reset, I
can usually recover 200-300KB alone.

Then, if you have a problem, like I did Friday, and you need to reload your
Ethernet drivers and such, you have to dig to find your dongle, then setup
AppleTalk and try to have at least the minimum loaded. I mean, if it was
possible to have a few minimum packages in a system patch, then I think it
would be more convenient. Plus, since Paul has already did a system patch,
it's not like he's starting from scratch...

-Laurent.

Evil Empire n.: [from Ronald Reagan's famous characterization of the
communist Soviet Union] Formerly IBM,now Microsoft. Functionally, the
company most hackers love to hate at any given time. Hackers like to see
themselves as romantic rebels against the Evil Empire, and frequently adopt
this role to the point of ascribing rather more power and malice to the
Empire than it actually has. See also Borg and search for Evil Empire pages
on the Web.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html