Re: [NTLK] AT&T Wireless and Newton (Was: eMate fun)

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 19:53:07 PDT

Eckhart wrote:

> Technically, it means that net traffic works only over predefined
> ports, allows maybe only WAP/WML, uses some strange proxy/compression
> software and is basically useless if you want to actually do some web
> surfing.
>
> I really hope I'm wrong though in this case (it is interesting that
> email works) - maybe somebody can verify this, preferrably using a
> laptop and doing some real web browsing?

I use AT&T Wireless in the U.S. I think the main problem here is that
AT&T forbids (actually prevents) circuit-swtiched connections on their
network. You can only use packet-switched GPRS connections, and they
bill by the Mbyte.

I do use GPRS on AT&T with both my Powerbook and my Newton. It's slow
and darned expensive, but it does work most of the time. I do suffer
from periodic random disconnects when using with the Newton however. I
don't know whether to attribute this to the IR connection going out of
alignnment, or something in Nitro, or something else entirely.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD      |  Doubt is not a pleasant condition,
San Francisco, CA         |  but certainty is absurd.