Re: [NTLK] ATA Support question.

From: Andre Garzia (soapdog_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 21:25:11 PDT

> It's not a bug, it's a design philosophy.
>
> When you mount an ATA store, you can unmount it any time with the
> star menu. Just leave it alone until you want to unmount the stores
> on your card.
>
> The rationale is that you need to unmount all stores before ejecting
> the card. There is no alert like "Newton still needs the card you
> removed, please reinsert it" with ATA cards because this requires
> quite a lot of reverse engineering, locking the kernel when it tries
> to swap memory pages and stuff like this, not an easy task. I'll try
> to achieve it some day but in the meantime, the Newton will simply
> reboot if you remove an ATA card with a store mounted on it. Hence
> the star to quickly unmount it and do it any time. With the star,
> ejecting an ATA card is faster than a linear card since in most cases
> Newton will ask you to insert the card back and you'll have to wait
> for it to deactivate packages and tell you you can unmount the card.
>
> Still, you can disable the star in the preferences if you think it's
> intrusive or you just don't like it. Then tap the Card icon and
> unmount the stores from the card slip.
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul,

i thought there was something wrong with my card, i never tought it=20
would be a quick way to unmount the cards. I thought: "Hey what is this=20=

star thing yelling for...". Now that i know, it's very clever, a quick=20=

shortcut. Thanks!!!!!!

Born to tap.
Andre Garzia (the green edge, editor-in-chief)

> --=20
> Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
>
> NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
> Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/
> --=20
> This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all=20