[NTLK] Wireless sniffer

From: David B. Alford (davidba_at_speakeasy.net)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 22:58:06 PDT

Has anyone written a wireless network sniffer? I would like it to test out my
new wireless network that I am building, but I think it would be great for
detecting networks for war chalking. I'm not interested in stealing bandwidth,
I'm just interested in seeing how pervasive the wireless world is in Silicon
Valley.

What I'm looking for is something like MacStumbler (see http://www.macstumbler.com)
that would allow me to find wireless access points that are available to the
public for their use. There are quite a few companies, airports, coffee shops,
restaurants and hotels offering WiFi for open use. I would like something for
my Newton that would send out probe requests and notify me when it finds a public
network.

Anyone working on something like this, or has anyone made something like this?
If not, who can I bribe to write one? Cash, or Equipment is available.

David B. Alford

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html